June 14, 2024
Sergio Perez

Sergio Perez said the intensity at the Red Bull team is a challenge like no other and he will focus 100% on the task ahead following the announcement of his contract extension earlier this week.

On Tuesday, Red Bull announced Perez will stay with the world champions until 2026, which ended speculation over the available seat alongside F1 championship leader Max Verstappen.
“I feel happy, once you get an agreement it means both parties are happy with what we got and happy to move forwards,” Perez told reporters on Thursday ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix. “We’ve got great targets ahead of us and Red Bull is a team that takes everything out of you.

“It’s something that since I came here, the intensity on and off track is a challenge that I haven’t had anywhere else in my career, so when I signed I’m willing to give 100%.”

The 34-year-old Mexican added: “You always have a process to go through which is not always really nice to do it in-between races when everything is flat out. It’s really nice to get this traction for the team and myself out of the way so we can focus on pure performance and that’s the best thing for our team.”

Sergio Perez
Sergio Perez joined Red Bull in 2021 from BWT Racing Point. Kym Illman/Getty Images

Perez, a six-time race winner, started the season in good form with two second-place finishes behind teammate Verstappen, but has since slid down to fifth in the drivers’ championship from second. The 2025 seat at Red Bull was sought after in the F1 paddock, but sources told ESPN Perez has always been the favoured option alongside Verstappen.

“In Formula One there are always different agendas and I really get that.” Perez said. “It’s something that has been with every driver since we got in the sport and I think the best thing to do is close the visor and focus on my job, do the best for myself and my career.

“At the end of the day when my career finishes, it is the only thing that will matter for me. What people have to say or not — I appreciate everyone has their opinion, but at the end of the day I’m here to do the best for my career and I’m happy with what I have achieved.”

As for Red Bull’s form in Montreal after they suffered on the kerbs of Monaco’s street circuit, Perez said: “I hope it’s not as severe as it was in Monaco with our ride issues there. We have done some work and analysis and it’s great to have a similar to challenge to Monaco in many aspects, so it will be an interesting one.

“I do expect us to be a little bit stronger — I don’t think it will be our strongest track but I really hope that we can be fighting up there.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com